Friday, June 25, 2010

Traveling with Kids

After doing a vacation this past weekend with my kids, I was ecstatic. The vacation was wonderful! We had a great time traveling and seeing parts of Utah we hadn't been to. So, I thought I would post on traveling with kids. Here are a few things that worked for me ( my kids are 3,2, and 5 mths):

1-Plan
I made a day to day plan which included where we wanted to go, cost, contact info; what we were eating; where we were staying. I didn't put times by things because I want to be flexible enough to make changes where needed and also not feel like I had to rush from one thing to the next to meet a time constraint. It also kept all the important info in one place (ie directions, phone number to call, confirmation numbers, etc.) so that they were easily reachable. We never ran out of anything to do! With little kids, this is a must!
2-Car Boxes
I made car boxes loaded with different things for them to do ( ie. aqua doodle, coloring books, cars, books, stickers, etc.) This kept all their stuff in one place and I wasn't searching to find them something to do. PS - I found the coolest thing at KMart. It was a make your own Golden Book (those books with gold binding). The pages were blank. So I got one for CK and Alli. I let them draw pictures of different places we went and helped them write words and it became their vacation travel log.
3-Snack Sacks
I usually keep my snacks in a picnic basket in the car. Then when the want something, I lean over and pull something out of the picnic basket. But, I knew our car was going to be packed and with 3 kids, leaning over to reach anything is hard. So, I got each kid a ziploc bag. Before we started driving, I loaded their bag with snacks from the picnic basket. That's what they got til we stopped. When we stopped, I made a point of filling their bag again, so they always had something to munch on. If they ate it too fast, too bad, they didn't get anything else til we stopped (they learned pretty quick). I also kept a cooler of water in the car and filled up their drink cups with water at every stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment